Pain in the jaw or difficulty in opening or closing the mouth can be an indication that you may be suffering from a condition known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder or commonly known as TMJ disorders.
The TMJ disorder refers to the painful condition of the jaw muscles and nerves caused by an injury or inflammation to the temporomandibular joint. The temporomandibular joint acts like a sliding hinge that is responsible for connecting the jawbone to the skull.
Symptoms of TMJ disorder
Here are the following signs and symptoms indicating that you are suffering from TMJ disorder:
- Pain or tenderness of the jaw
- Ear pain
- Popping or clicking of the jaw
- Ringing or popping sounds in the ears
- Aching facial pain
- Chewing difficulty or pain while chewing
- Pain in one or both temporomandibular joints
Remedy for TMJ disorders
Many symptoms associated with TMJ disorders can be managed with several home remedies or stress reduction and relaxation techniques. Below are the following solutions you can try at home that may provide some relief:
- Place ice or cold packs to the area of the aching joint to decrease inflammation and numb the pain
- Apply a heat pack or a hot water bottle wrapped in a warm, moist towel to improve function and reduce pain.
- Take over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or other pain relievers prescribed by your dentist to eliminate any pain experienced.
- It is highly encouraged that patients should eat soft foods and avoid chewing gum or hard foods.
- Try to massage or do some gentle self-stretching of the jaw and neck muscles.
- Sedative essential oils like lavender, chamomile, sweet marjoram, and clary sage may temporarily relieve pain and discomfort caused by TMJ disorder.
- Relaxation techniques and guided imagery can help deal with the pain that is associated with TMJ disorder. Doing some deep, slow breathing can enhance relaxation and minimizes pain sensations. Other relaxation techniques, such as yoga, massage, and meditation, may help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Mostly, the pain and discomfort caused by TMJ disorders are temporary and can be relieved with at-home care and non-surgical treatments. However, if the disorder causes extreme pain that is unmanageable with several non-surgical treatments, the last option to eliminate this painful condition is to undergo surgery. Here at Aqua Dental Loft, we offer treatments for TMJ disorders in the form of pain medication, muscle relaxants, physical therapy, mouth guards, injection therapy, and surgery.
If you’re suffering from a disorder that causes excruciating pain that can get in the way of using the jaw properly, do not wait any longer, seek professional assistance! Book your appointment immediately at Aqua Dental Loft for Treatment of TMJ Disorders in Boca Raton, FL!